Preparing For Transitions/Change
- Due to a preference for predictability and sameness, some young people with ASD can find change and transitions (whether unexpected or not) extremely difficult to manage.
- Extended transition periods are recommended to help them prepare for what is going to happen (especially for changes in school/ house moves/ etc.)
- Use of visual resources to support their understanding of when the change is going to happen and what the change will look like – e.g., use of calendars, pictures
- Use simple, clear language to aid their understanding.
- See the National Autistic Society for more detailed information about guidance on how to manage specific transitions (such as leaving school). http://www.autism.org.uk/about/transition.aspx#